A few weeks ago, while browsing Pinterest, I found the most adorable looking nails – map nails. While I loved the idea of them, I couldn’t realistically see myself putting that much time and energy into a manicure. That was until Halloween rolled around.
With the suggestion of one of my good friends, I decided to dress up as Carmen San Diego, and I thought that map nails would be the perfect addition to the costume.
Even though they were a bit involved, they added a little something extra to the costume and were fun to put together. Many people were interested in how I did them, and after following a few instructions on Pinterest and YouTube, I developed my own little system. Here’s what you need and how to create your own map nails.
White nail polish
Paper map – not glossy
1. Cut map into small pieces that will be easy to assemble on nails.
2. Paint nails with white nail polish. Apply two coats.
3. Let nail polish dry completely.
4. Dip nail in rubbing alcohol.
5. Take a piece of the map and press down firmly on the nail – the side that you want on your nail.
6. Dip the q-tip in alcohol and rub it against the map on nail.
7. Hold for about ten seconds.
8. Slowly peel the map off, and it should be transferred on your nail.
9. If it’s not there, repeat steps 4-7.
10. Use the q-tip and alcohol to remove any paper residue.
11. Paint nails with top coat.
12. Dry and enjoy your map nails!
If you have the time to make these nails happen, they are definitely a fun and unique way to liven up your normal manicure, especially if you’re a map lover like me.