Just this weekend, I was out to dinner with a friend, who was telling me about the bucket list he created. While he was talking about checking off his, I realized that I didn’t have one. I mean, I always had one in my head, an endless list of places to go and things to do, but I did not have one that was tangible.
In college, a professor told me that writing down your goals was the best way to reach them. If I wasn’t writing down my goals, I couldn’t keep track of them, and then how could I ensure that they would become a reality? And so, this weekend, I set out to create my own bucket list.
While creating it, I realized that I’ve already reached many goals – elephant trekking, driving on the other side of the road, white-water rafting, swimming with dolphins, seeing the Sistine Chapel, riding in a gondola in Venice…that list goes on too. But, this is not about the bucket list items that have already been checked off. Instead, it is about what my future holds.
My Bucket List (in no particular order):
1. Visit every continent by thirty.
2. Sand board in Namibia.
3. Swim with Great White sharks in South Africa.
4. Live abroad for at least a few months.
5. Become fluent in a language – Italian or French.
6. Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro.
7. Swim in every ocean.
8. Publish a book.
9. Go to a Full Moon party in Thailand.
10. Walk on the Great Wall of China.
11. Practice yoga in India.
12. See Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
13. See the pyramids in Egypt.
14. Visit the Taj Mahal.
15. See the Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil.
16. Visit the Galápagos Islands.
17. Take an Around the World trip.
18. Travel solo.
19. Get certified in SCUBA diving.
20. See the Northern Lights.
21. Pack a bag, buy a plane ticket, and hope for the best.
22. See the cherry blossoms in Japan.
23. Go to an ashram in India to practice meditation.
24. Learn to surf.
25. Volunteer abroad.
26. See the Hagia Sophia in Turkey.
27. Go to Rio for Carnivàle.
28. Get citizenship in one of the countries my grandparents are from.
29. Go to Germany for Oktoberfest.
30. Dance Tango in Argentina.
31. Learn how to sail during Yacht Week in Croatia.
32. Climb an active volcano.
33. Go glacier climbing.
34. Drive the Pacific Coast Highway.
35. See Machu Picchu in Peru.
36. Visit Petra in Jordan.
37. See Iguazo Falls (Argentina/Brazil), Niagara Falls (North America), and Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe/Zambia).
38. Learn to play the guitar.
39. Go to the Serengeti.
40. Climb to the base of Mt. Everest.
41. Go to the Fjords of Norway.
42. Go to the Amazon Rainforest and take a boat along the Amazon River.
43. Ride on the back of a motorcycle.
44. Go to Ultra Music Festival in Miami.
45. Learn how to fly a plane.
46. See St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow .
47. Attend Loy Krathong, the sky lantern festival in Thailand.
48. Drive across the United States.
49. Stay in a bungalow over the ocean in the Maldives or Tahiti.
50. See the Panama Canal.
51. Go island hopping in the Caribbean.
52. Be in Thailand for the Songkran festival.
53. Take a class on photography.
54. See the ruins on Easter Island.
55. Kiss someone special under the Eiffel Tower.
56. Mush a dog sled.
57. Ride a camel.
58. Learn Reiki.
59. Go to an opera.
60. Visit New Orleans for Mardi Gras.
61. Ride a horse on the beach during sunset.
62. Go to the Kentucky Derby.
63. Attend the Sundance Film Festival.
64. Learn how to snowshoe.
65. Visit all fifty states.
66. Climb Table Mountain in South Africa.
67. See penguins in Antarctica.
68. Go to the Grand Canyon.
69. Wine-taste in Napa Valley.
70. Compete on The Amazing Race.
71. Take a boat ride along the Nile River.
72. Go to the Redwood National Park.
73. See a play at the Globe Theater.
74. Swim in the Dead Sea.
75. Visit every country in the world.